Wednesday, 6 May 2015

NEWS ARTICLE 2















    It is really challenging trying to say a complex sentence like: 'Figures published today by UCAS show that for the first time more than half a million 18 year olds are on university courses'. I have now tried recording this sentence FIVE times and each time it sounds too hard for me to say never mind my listeners understanding what I'm actually saying.


    Re-write: I am going to try to make the first statement easy to hear. How about:


    For the first time there are now more than half a million 18 years at university.


    I can then follow it up with:


    Today's UCAS figures show that ten out of twenty 18 year old are studying for degrees.



    The reference to UCAS shows that the news source is reliable and trustworthy.




    But this is not true for every part of Britain. In Cornwall, for example only THREE out of TWENTY 18 year are attend university whereas here in Maida Vale the figure is TWELVE out of TWENTY. Our Education correspondent, Celyn Dizon, is out and about finding why?







    Running Order
    Script
    Timing and Effects


    For the first time
    there are now more than half a million 18 years at university.

    5 seconds


    Today's UCAS figures
    show that ten out of twenty 18 year old are studying for degrees.

    7 seconds


    But this is not true
    for every part of Britain. In Cornwall, for example only THREE out of TWENTY
    18 year olds attend university whereas here
    in Maida Vale the figure is TWELVE out of TWENTY. Our Education
    correspondent, Celyn Dizon, is out and about….. discovering why?



    12.5 seconds 


    Interview question and
    vox pop responses.



    Street Sounds




    In collecting my 'vox pops' I asked the questions: 'What's the appeal of a university education?' and 'Aren't you bothered by the large debt entailed in studying for a degree?' As I was collecting the responses I kept the recording running knowing that I was going to edit it down to just 10-15 seconds and also not wanting to miss anything that was said by my respondents. You never know what might be said spontaneously that will sound good and it's not possible to 'do it again.'




    No comments:

    Post a Comment